Friday, March 26, 2010

doesn't mean ...

there's something I see today that I think I need to write about because I 'boh song'.

I was at the KL International Book Fair at PWTC this evening after work. Can get some very good deals (but that's beside the point).
At one of the booth, I saw a Malay lady (a mother I suppose) browsing through collection of Peter & Jane (hardcover story books like Ladybird series) ---> you know those collection with different level from level 1 - level 10.
It was written very clearly on the rack that there will be 30% discount on all Peter & Jane series and the price shown is before discount. The price tag shows RM9.90. A simple calculation will show that the book cost about RM7 each after discount.

This lady took a book, walk up to an Indian man (not sure a temporary worker/permanent worker who's neatly dressed) and tidying up books and asked him "how much is this?" in a very rude manner.
The worker didn't reply (as in speak) but point to the discount tag on the rack instead.
The lady got angry and raise her voice "you don't know is it? no use".
She then took the book and stormed to the counter & I presume to check the price with a manager (perhaps).

Seeing that I was dumbfounded by the whole episode, the worker looked at me & signalled to me that he couldn't speak.
At that point of time, I feel bad.
I just smile and nodded my head to acknowledge him.

All I want to say with this incident is :

1. I applaud this company who is not biased towards less privileged people - at least this company give them a chance to earn a living.

2. I do not agree with the lady's attitude.
Firstly, it was very clear on the discount given & that the prices shown are before discount. Secondly, even if the worker doesn't tell you verbally the price, he did attempt to show you. Thirdly, even if the worker doesn't reply to you, you have no rights to raise your voice and call another person no use (what more a less privilege person).
Forthly, you maybe a more educated person whose children read 'Peter & Jane' series but that doesn't mean you have rights to be rude, to judge people or do whatever you like to whoever you want.

Really makes me wonder what's the use of the so good 'Peter & Jane' series (no offense to Peter & Jane series) when you doesn't even able to potray a good example of basic courtesy & morale for your children.

I'm supposed to go sleep but I just have to let go of this 'boh song'ness. Now I think I can sleep better.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails