Saturday, June 04, 2005

' zhuo you wei nan '

just in case my pin yin that bad ..hehe
the title actually literally translated : left right trouble.

Me received a call from a mother yesterday, wanted to know where did the son last used his credit card. From her shivering voice, me could tell she's trying not to cry. According to the mother, her son has not came home for 5 days and she couldn't get him on the handphone or any other contacts. Added that she had made police report too but would like to check where his son last used his credit card ... maybe it could help her locate her son.

As much as I would like to help a worried mum, I feel bad that I couldn't.
Throughout the conversation, she pleaded and cried, asking me to just reveal to her.
As we are not allowed under BAFIA (banking act) to reveal customer information to any third party without prior authorisation, I couldn't say much over the phone.
My manager didn't give me the green light to reveal. Telling me to apologize that we are unable to do so.
Me can't stand seeing (well, hearing) mother crying for their children. It make me feel so 'sour' in the heart.
No matter how I apologize that I'm unable to reveal and advised her to come to the bank with any authorisation from police. She kept pleading. She didn't gave up saying every mum will do the same too if their child is missing. ( true also, our parents will never give up on us )

She refused to put down the phone. At one point of time, her husband even took over the call and requested to let them know their son last transactions on the credit card. On unsuccessful attempt, the mother got back the phone and started crying again.
I feel very guilty. I was in a very difficult situation. I couldn't feel anymore helpless.
What these parents said throughout the whole about 15 - 20 minutes conversation, when I think back made me realised a lot of things. I guess I couldn't get myself to blame them cause they are not wrong trying to look for their missing son. I hope they are able to find their son. If only me can let the son hear what his parents had said over the phone.

However, what made me feel 'down' was what the mother said before she slammed the phone.
In cantonese, "lei mm moi bong chao shuen loh, lei wooi yao bo ying geh, lei "
translate : you don't want to help then leave it, you'll get your balasan.

So, next time, please let your parents know if you will be late, if you would like to detour or unable to be there (especially if they are expecting you to be around). You wouldn't want them to worry.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The mother and father are just too naive to think that they can check on their son location by just calling the credit card company. You will never know they are really their parents at all. Just that the lady was crying, it didn't show that she is the mother. If they reported it to the police, the police will do their work in locating their son (Not the bank) Not to mention, she was cursing you in the end, cleary shown that you were doing the right thing. I understand that your conversation was recorded, or else you should reply "SAME TO YOU" ...

Related Posts with Thumbnails