Saturday, February 24, 2007

'Yan yeong ngor, ngor yeong yan'

Today is 'Yan Yat' 7th day of Lunar Chinese New Year and also everyone's birthday.
Happy Birthday to everyone!!! This birthday I would like to share with you a little story.

The other day, while waiting to bring the doctor to see my mum, I heard this conversation among a pair of younger couple and a pair of older couple.

The dispensary officer asked the younger wife whether she wants to have extra medicine for Chinese New Year since the clinic will be on long holidays.
The younger wife asked whether how much does it cost for the additional medicine as she’s tight on budget.
Old uncle : You can save on other things but not on health.
Young wife : But we are more tight on budget, especially for the kids and Chinese New Year’s coming.
Old aunty : We understand that our family always come first, but if you are unwell, who will take care of them? Especially small kids.
Old uncle : ‘Thai hoi di’ … be more open minded. The world is like this, in our life, ‘yan yeong ngor, ngor yeong yan’ … people take care of me, me take care of people.
The young couple agreed.


Old uncle : Don’t compare and make ourselves think we must have what material things others have. Catching up with the joneses causes more damages to our life. What’s important during new year is family reunion and not who has the most expensive things.
The young couple nodded in agreement.


I smiled because I had learnt a valuable lesson. The conversation took place last last Saturday but it still stay fresh in my mind.

But I do agree very much that in our life ‘Yan yeong ngor, ngor yeong yan
No matter it’s our grandparents, parents, our children or grandchildren.
I’ve also always believe in ‘Pay It Forward
For every kindness or help that we received, be grateful and let others also enjoy the kindness or help.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails