Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Hungry Ghost Festival

similar to Halloween (western) or Obon (Japanese)
7th month of lunar calendar ... it's believed that this is the time when hell's gates open for departed souls
also known as 'Yu Lan' in mandarin or 'Phor Thor' in hokkien
makeshift stage were made for performance as well as religious ceremonies ...
if you observe, you'll realised that first rows of seats among the audience is always empty ...
for we know why ...
No matter how I tried since childhood, I'm still afraid of looking long long at GOD of HADES... perhaps because I had lots of sins =P
not sure if they have it else where, but the Phor Thor celebration near my place have this very huge piece of 'sulaman' which shows 'stages we go thru' after leaving our body...
if have the opportunity, have a look and share with me how does it makes you feel =)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails