Sunday, June 06, 2010

old people taste

My sister on many occasions has said to me (in cantonese) : ah jie, your taste like old ah sum la.
I used not to heed or choose not try to understand what she meant by that until recently I realised those things (in term of jewelleries / accessories) that I like are those likes by aunties at least 45 years old. Things that I like are seldom liked by people of my age.

I've always like pearl from as long as I can remember. I think each pearl is unique.
Have no any inclination towards diamond.
although I like the way of how both substances are formed ... I think it's very applicable to our lives. Get to know how pearl and diamond are formed.

I've always like jade as well.
Perhaps this was due to the 1st pendant that my parents gave me to wear was a doughnut like jade pendant. and that pendant has protected me for so many years, have soothe away my many fears that I have unconsciously affliated myself to this substance.
Unfortunately, I lost the pendant. But I'll give my children one each to 'protect' them =) ----> oh ya, i know i know parents always want to give what they never had.
Also perhaps those reassuring and motherly hands that I came across so far in my life always have jade bracelet, it may have made me unconsciously made jade a 'comfort' item for me ... you know, just like that 'little pillow or bolster we hang on for life' during our younger years.

Nevertheless, regardless of whether old people taste / young people taste, I still like. and yes, I have old people taste, so? =p


pics : items that I have lying on table that makes me want to write this post and realised what my sister said was 90% true.
1. pearl bracelet from my buddies who come back from east malaysia - I love this bracelet. Thank you so much =)
2. the black coconut husk bracelet for ah bi - already 'open light' during wesak day.
3. the 'not-real' jade pendant which I itchy hand'ly bought when buying coconut husk from old aunty outside temple ---> pending save enough money to buy the real doughnut one.

2 comments:

Lawsh said...

im still wearing the one my grandma gave me, its so small that it does not seem fit for a person my size.

i think when zett is old enough to be wearing it, i will pass it on to him :)

Su said...

envy you as I've lost mine..nowhere to be found already. Even if buy new one, wouldn't be the same anymore. but but but things can always start from me =)

treasure it & teach zett to treasure it too =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails