Friday, September 03, 2004

Benjawan and me


pic courtesy : nick
benjawan & me

Benjawan was the first person whom I initiate long conversation with although initially we had difficulties understanding what each other said. It was like pointing up and down, gesturing with hands and legs. She'll speak very slowly, occasionally searching for words to express her thoughts. On & off, she'll translate our conversation to her collegue.

She's from Thailand, has a pair of soothing eyes. Speaking to her is like speaking to a long-time friend, I felt very comfortable. In fact, in her I see a 'mum'.
In Krabi, Thailand, she has 2 massage parlours. They are open for business for 6 months - peak season and she'll have break till the next peak season comes again.
However, she decided to come over to work at perhentian because she was offered a deal by bubu long beach's management and also her business is not doing well. She also mentioned about situations in her country.

She's a professional masseur who believes in healing the body through massage therapies (using pressure points). She told me that she would like to take up acupuncture to combine with massage to heal. She wanted to impart her knowledge & skills to others as she alone doesn't have enough energy. On average, she can do about 6 to 8 max massage therapies a day or she'll be exhausted... which is why she prefer to teach others how to heal & look after themselves.
She taught me some too... but i could remember 2 only (that's me la...nvr remember properly)
on the last day, I'm afraid I might forget her face, so I decided to have a photo with her. Thanks to nick.

She has 2 children, a boy (20 years) and a girl (abt 10 year-old if i'm not wrong). She raised her children single-handedly as her husband had passed away some 9-10 yrs ago.
I felt sorry that I raised this, however it was clear that she misses her daughter a lot, when she spoke of her daughter, she was brimming with smile, full of fond memories.

She was amazed that most chinese of all age that were there at perhentian played cards / mahjongs. She asked "you chinese people like to play this" pointing at our friends who are playing cards (1 table) and mahjong (next table).
"Yes, one of our favourite past time" I replied.
Benjawan : you all play with money
Me : sometimes yes, sometimes no
Benjawan : Is it fun to play?
Me : Yes, if win a lot. You know how to play?
Benjawan : I only watch. cannot understand. the foreigners also like to watch the chinese play. last time, got 1 small boy maybe 7 years old. very good at playing. The mother say..train the brain very good.

Me bought some hand band as souvenirs for friends. However, I couldn't help but to offer her one. She was very happy..selected one and said "my daughter will like this a lot" and thanked me profusely. I also 'mm ho yi see'. I was happy too for I didn't know a small gesture can bring a lot of happiness.

I wish you well, benjawan =)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails