Monday, February 28, 2005

A blow too great (3)

Fond memories

These memories never fail to remind me how naughty I’m (even till now)
I used to stay at her place from Monday till Friday, only returning to my parents’ home on Saturday night and Sunday. I spent a lot of time with her during childhood. I guess that’s why I’m so close to her and her family.
‘Noi’ (literally translated as daughter in Cantonese) that’s how she used to call me.
‘Ah bi’ that’s how her children call me
‘ham bao bi’ that’s how her son call me when I cry after being bullied


There weren’t a day I’ll not be naughty & bring her some new challenges.
I had ran away from home before when I was around 5-6 yrs olds ( to the playground that is) and she was worried as she couldn’t locate me.
I had removed all the clothes from the cupboard because I think she’s being unfair
I had fights with my neighbor’s sons at their house and put her in a difficult position
I had drawings and paintings on her house wall
I always play with the chicks she rear, putting those chicks at high places and in water.
I had always done what she told me not to do.


When I accidentally locked myself in toilet and don’t know how to open, she taught me not to cry but to follow her instruction to solve problem.

When I went to Pasar Pudu with her and boarded the public bus without her, she actually chased the bus to get me back.

When I fainted at the Yulek open air morning market last time, she carried me all the way back to home leaving behind all purchases & basket.

When I always come back from school or kindergarten with cuts & bruises, she’ll warn me that she’ll not care for me if I come back with anymore.

Besides caring for us, she also took up a job of wrapping cake in the evening at the shop opposite our house at Jln Kaskas 4. I’ll always follow her or ran across the street myself to look for her. My job last time there was to put stickers & price tags (and also curi makan). As I become better, she allowed me to wrap smaller cakes. No matter how bad was my wrapping, she’ll say it’s OK and help me to re-wrap.

Occasionally, we’ll have assignment like packing chewing gums … eg. Putting chewing gum & stickers into a small packet & seal. I always love when we have those assignments as we’ll have lots of stickers leftover. (they came in big boxes like those for TV)
They are not from well to do family but she’ll always give the best. We used to have porridge for lunch & rice for dinner but still even her simple dishes will taste great. If I sleep in the afternoon, she’ll put my favourite songs, when I sleep with her at night, she’ll tell me many things.


Once a teacher in kindergarten gave up teaching me how to tie ribbon and even said ‘you're so dumb and you still don’t know even I taught you so many times’. But Ah ma didn’t gave me up. She bought a pair of shoe (those where have to tie shoelace) and taught me how to tie ribbon.
Did I also mentioned I had difficulty differentiating left and right shoe.
In kindergarten, she walked me there (going uphill & downhill)
In primary school, she waited with me early morning for school bus.


Too many fond memories that we cherished

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails