Sunday, September 25, 2005

Workers are human too

They may be foreign workers but they are human too! They are just trying to earn a living like any of us. Yesterday, during lunch hour at KWSP building, me witnessed a shocking incident …
a dangerous fall and a nasty boss (nasty in a sense of being very inconsiderate)

From far, as me walking toward the automated glass door of KWSP building, I saw a male foreign worker standing on a ladder lean against the wall doing something to KWSP logo.
To me, it looked dangerous. The ladder was lean against the wall, the guy is high up (about 4m -5m high) and no one is holding the ladder base, nothing to block ladder from sliding too.

Never did I expect what I fear was about to happen. As I walked past, I heard a loud thud, the sound of metal hitting the ground and someone shouted. I turned back and saw the foreign worker laying on the ground. The ladder was laying on the ground too.

The foreign worker cried in pain. His boss, a Chinese man, scolded him with vulgar words in Chinese & something about him so ‘no use’ and other rude remarks. Never did he even help the poor worker, he just walked off instead, swearing.

Hey, I mean, this guy didn’t fall off from a chair, he fell down from about 4m - 5m high ladder. If he had a choice, he wouldn’t want this to happen. For god sake, he’s a human too. He might have family to care for at home. Being a boss doesn’t give you the right to treat others unwell.
However, what serve as a consolation was that there were many good souls around. Some security guards, KWSP & Public Bank staffs went to help this poor guy & informed the clinic on 1st floor.

Witnessing the incident left a bitter taste .. the fall, the worker, the boss.
Me think ‘everything does happen for a reason’

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails