Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Used condoms recycled into hair bands


The Star 14/11/07 - World


Beijing : Used condoms are being recycled into hair bands in southern China, threatening to spread sexually-transmitted disease they were originally meant to prevent, state media reported yesterday.


In the latest example of potentially harmful Chinese-made products, rubber hair bands have been found in local markets and beauty salons in Donggian and Guangzhou cities, China Daily newspaper said.


"These cheap and colourful rubber bands and hair ties sell well...threatening he health of local people," it said.


Despite being recycled, the hair bands could still contain bacteria and viruses, it said.

"People could be infected with AIDS, (genital) warts or other diseases if they hold the rubber bands or strings in their mouths while waving their hair into plaits or buns," the paper quoted a local dermatologist who gave only his surname, Dong, as saying - AFP


OMG, This is just so shrewd...

All the rubber bands in the photos... I don't think I'll use them anymore.

When I have long hair, I used these kind of band most of the time ... yeah, i like the colours too but this piece of news just suddenly make me want to throw those rubber bands away.

Another reason for me to believe that I made a great decision cutting my hair short...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When i found out about over in china they are recycleing used condoms and making them into haid bows i got sick,and that made me think about what hair ties i have to use now.

Blur said...

I don't think those ones in the picture are the right ones but that's pretty sick.

Related Posts with Thumbnails