Friday, November 30, 2007

Shopaholic Anonymous

Hi I'm Su,
I'm a shopaholic.
It's nice to be here in this group.
I wish to share with you how I started .....


When I was younger, I always looked forward to weekends because that's when my parents will bring us for shopping a.k.a family day.
Both my parents are working thus I don't get to spend much time with them during weekdays.

As I grow older, I began to know the value of hard earned money. I know my parents have been working very very hard to provide for the family. It was then I learnt to compare prices before making purchases. I do not know when this concept of 'great deals come with great efforts' came and stay in my mind.
I always go for the best deal ... which translate naturally to me as 'the cheapest'.
It didn't help that I can remember most of the prices of the items I'm keen on buying ... yes, to the exact cents and start making comparisons.
So, I will keep buying and buying whatever deem cheap ... thinking I've got a great deal and stock up.
Who knows, there may be no offer when my home supply finishes
Who knows, the price of the item may have increased by the time my home supply finishes


Although people around me kept advocating to me the importance of quality over cheap price, I still have the tendency to go for cheaper price... but I've improved alot thanks to my dad and dear who constantly remind (nag) me.
At least now I don't compromise the quality for cheap prices.


I'm just as easily attracted by freebies, discounts and vouchers.
I think I'm one of the easiest target for marketers.


Things just got worse when I started taking over responsibilities of replenishing household items and groceries. I've always got a reason to shop, be it to buy things for myself, for my family or for someone else.

I've been silently killing my financial standings with the purchases on 'credit' struggling and sweating to pay off my debt.


Those days, I would go for shopping alone mostly at hypermarkets and carry loads and loads of items back to my car.
I've carried 5L washing detergent with 2 or 3 more plastics full of things.
They were heavy but I was happy.
Happy because I've got great deals and I've brought home something for my family.
I know my parents have their own problems to deal with so I didn't want to bog them down with small matters like these.


I also find comfort and solidatary in walking around in hypermarkets surveying prices and enjoying the air cond.
Watching parents bringing their children to shop remind me of my fond memories.


It was the 'feel good' factor that brought me into this ...
Now, I wish to change. To be a better person.
What I may have done in the past may be wrong, but all I ask for now is just a chance
... a chance to make things right
... and your continuous support to last me through

2 comments:

anechoic said...

'kau mat kong'??? :P

never know that just buying groceries also can accumulate debt. :X hmm, maybe u can start making a table to identify how long each item last in ur house before you replenish your stock..haha. I don't see the need to stock the items since Malaysia are not at war yet.

normally ppl got into debts because they buy things they do not need i.e luxuries..bags, clothes, jewellery etc..

Su said...

hehe...why need to stock up ho? =p
now no more credit card debt loh...i use it sparingly and wisely =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails