Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Business of being born

Last Thursday, an ex-colleague sms'ed me. 
She's giving birth to a dragon baby in Feb 2012.  
In her message, she said she may plan for elective C-sec again.
This is her 2nd child. Her 1st child was born via elective C-sec.
She wants to know what's my opinion since I've experienced both.
Earlier, she has been contemplating vbac.
I had some difficulty replying her sms and giving her my opinion without being slightly biased. I tried giving a neutral opinion... but I guess she would have read those everywhere on the net.
I ended up asking her gently what was her doctor's advice (since her doctor knows her should condition best)
She said her doctor say it's up to her.
I asked her for her email and promised to share more with her since I was outside and couldn't do long sms reply (remember, I couldn't multitask well =p)


On my way back, I was thinking hard how to share with her my opinion without being biased and let her make her own choice. I do not want to be seen as 'hardselling' VBAC / natural birth because it's really really an individual choice, individual preference. 
I'm not against c-sec, it is life saving.


In the end, what I did was share with her this documentary 'Business of being born' and a few links which I find very helpful.
This 'Business of being born' was one of the influence in my decision. 
It has strengthened & consolidated what I believe in.
Now that it has helped me... I too would like to share this with all yet-to-be mothers, want-to-be mothers, soon-to-be mothers, already-a-mother, soon-to-be mothers of 2,3,4,5...., fathers and anyone who's involved directly or indirectly in a mother's delivery. 


* ps. thank you so much to ah dear for helping me find & download this documentary(after  he saw me trying to watch snippets, snippets & snippets on youtube. It may be a small gesture but it meant alot and I'm moved.


spare a little of time to watch, you'll see 'something'.
and please feel free to share =) 
btw, this is not a paid post and I don't get anything. Enjoy the trailers.







No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails