Tuesday, January 25, 2005

camping in bangalow?? part 4

Dinner time, we speculated on what will the night activities be. We were only told that they will bring us for a walk around the area for fireflies watching & to familiarise us to tomorrow race route.

After dinner, at the convention centre, each participant was given 2 piece of 'mahjong' paper where we were told to outline our career & life timeline on one piece, and write our bad habits in another piece. Instructions were given for us to have both with us all the time.
At night, about 10.30pm, we were lead to walk towards the jungle. There are 2 activities to be held in the jungle. Lucky the moon was full & bright =)


Candle light walk.
How : each time is given a candle, a match & a map. (no torchlight, no compass, no watches, no anything except our bad habits paper). We are supposed to find our way out from the jungle. with only 2 trees as identifying landmark. Of course they have experienced local guides.
comment : the map was the simplest map I had ever seen with 2 trees as landmark. In fact we got lost so many times, it all looked the same in the jungle at night. There were many times, we thought we had the right route only to come to dead end & back track. Back tracking, there's how we lost our way & direction. In fact, in the middle, a guard actually came to lead us back to the right track because we exceeded the estimated time. however, he didn't lead us out. He left us on our own again to find our way out.
estimated time is about 15 minutes to 20 minutes but guess what we took about an hour plus.
we were told that they almost wanted to launch for a search operation if we still did not appear.
Quite a thrilling experience as we only had 1 candle & a match stick. what if ???
Should have seen how tight we hold each other hands, how together we were, how we look out for each other.


Solo Drop
How : Each participant was dropped solo in various location in the jungle.. for us to reflect upon what we had done in the past, where we are in present and what we want in future. For us to oversome our fear & have some real 'alone' time. Again, no nothing except water bottle & our "bad habits". The facilitators actually told us some stories to 'scare' us
comment : there was one lady who was very afraid that she didn't want to join. However, the facilitators made it compulsory for everyone.
To tell you I'm not scared is not true, expecially when the guide suddenly pat on your shoulder and say "awak tinggal sini, jangan pergi mana mana"
However, I'm glad that it didn't take me long to overcome that fear as I started putting my mind to reflect on my past, present & focus on what I wanted in future. I even sat down & looked upon the sky ( the full moon brighten the sky). I did some deep thinking about everything about everyone that I disregarded the annoying mosquitoes. It was then I saw a pair of fireflies and I got their 'message'.
Not long after that, I see the guide with some other team mates came to fetch me. Didn't know why but during then, I hoped they gave us a bit more time to think more.
back at the banglo, everyone was queuing to take bath & sleep. We are to wake up by 5.30am tomorrow for the personal race. After taking bath, I couldn't sleep partly because my hair is still wet. Also I had lots of thoughts in mind that I wanted to record down. I sat in the hall as I don't want to disturb the rest of my room mates.


more to come for 21/1/05
more challenges, more emotional exchanges, more excitements ...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails