Monday, August 27, 2007

50th Merdeka, 50 memories - Part 1

I've got my independence. this is the journey
starting from today till 31 August 2007, there will be 5 installments of celebrations in my life thus far.

Without these memories, I'm no one.
With these memories, at least I'm someone.

today's 1st installment..

1. Once a thief : While my baby sitter’s daughter was getting a haircut from a salon nearby, I stole some pages from the salon’s magazines. Where the heck did I find the courage to tear the pages with pictures I like and fold them before stuffing them into my pocket. I didn’t get away as I’ve got a good scolding by my babysitter (mama) when reached home. I was a thief at the age of 5.

2. Twice a thief : money meant a lot to me last time, perhaps due to growing up in my babysitter’s home which is not too financial sound. Ashamed to admit, but I changed the price tag of the item I wanted to buy to a cheaper tag. The difference may be a few bucks but it matters when you that’s all you have. Lucky I wasn’t caught doing that and that they still do not have barcode during then. I wonder what will happen if I was caught doing that? The supermarket is no longer in operation or else I may repay my sin by buying more from the supermarket.

3. I used to borrow $$ from friends in primary school last time. The food portion for 1 in school doesn’t seem to be enough for me. I wasn’t given pocket money by mum & dad last time because my babysitter prepares recess food for me. And it’s ALWAYS bread with kaya and butter or plain steam potatoes without fail. I’ve got so tired of it and threw the food away for fear of being scolded. Looking back it was very wasteful of me. I was always surrounded by debt as I only get some allowance from my babysitter when I help them with ‘balut kek’

4. I used to be always copy my friends homework because I never finished mine. I used to arrive early in the morning and start copying friend’s homework. At one stage during schooling, I used to do my homework in the bus because I just want to play when I reach home. In the school bus, I’ll be kneeling on the floor and writing on the seats… aiseh, look darn hardworking =p

5. When I was 4 years old, I accidentally locked myself in the toilet for hours and cried till I lost my voice. I was just plain stupid that I just couldn’t figure how to open that darn lock. I ended being too tired and almost cried myself to sleep.

6. I used to take bath outside the house … at the garden pipe. All because they say, the water pressure is higher outside and they are too many adults queuing to take bath in the bathroom. I’ll run around naked playing with water and chasing little ducks and chicks. Yes my baby sitter reared chickens and ducks in the garden and backyards.

7. I’m not afraid of dogs and I used to play with a dog taller than me at my baby sitter’s home. I still remember how the dog accompanied us when my babysitter walked me to the kindergarten. How I sometimes bully the dog by throwing his food far far so that he go catch them. How the dog always wait for me to come back home after school.

8. I used to stand at the school bus entrance like bus conductor, with the wind blowing. I used to like to be ‘dai ka jie’ bringing small kids across the road back to their mother’s arms. Quickly run up to get a seat when bus driver say there’s police in front. I know the uncle and aunty bus driver very well because I always chat with them. One more fun thing, when the bus go through road bump, I jump in time and we bounced high. Come to think of it, why am I so stupid standing at the bus entrance when my parents are paying full fare. Shouldn’t I be seated comfortably or sleeping?

9. As my babysitter takes care of 4 children and I’m the ‘dai fan shu’, I used to be the ‘dai kuei tao’ who bring the kiddies roaming around. Start creating games to play. Start bullying. Start teaching other kids to do homework and most importantly, start WARs =p kekeke…

10. I always think this is really COOL … fighting with my babysitter’s neighbour’s son while playing people’s Nintendo at people’s house. Went home with a bengkak head due to terhantuk at the sewing maching. Memang ‘never give face’ leh … from then on, I don’t get to play Nintendo anymore…


2nd installment tomorrow ..

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails